Beginner Piano Mistakes
Between 2006 and 2008, Erol Onel, MD, worked as the director of medical affairs for Ferring Pharmaceuticals, where he founded and provided scientific leadership to the company’s urology division. When he is not working, Dr. Erol Onel enjoys playing multiple instruments, including the piano.
Learning to play the piano can be a tough but rewarding journey. These three tips will help you avoid some of the common mistakes beginners often make.
1. Posture – With so much to learn and remember, it can be tough to focus on anything but the keys in front of you, but you should take a moment to think about your posture. Poor posture at the piano can lead to muscle and back pain. Sit with your back straight and your forearms parallel to the ground. Instead of adjusting your position, try moving your seat forward or backward if you find yourself having to lean into or away from the keys.
2. Practicing Too Much – Even if you are passionate and excited by your new hobby, the key to improvement is practicing often, but for short periods of time. Trying to learn too much at once by cramming in a marathon session will only make it that much harder to remember what you learn. Instead, try to stick to just 30 minutes a day.
3. Playing Too Fast – New piano players often want to impress themselves or their instructors, so they will race through the song they just learned, playing it as quickly as they possibly can. While you are playing, keep the song’s proper timing and rhythm in mind, striving not to break it. Aside from not sounding right, fast playing is a surefire way to make more mistakes.
American Urological Association
The vice president of Heron Therapeutics in California, Erol Onel provides scientific leadership to a team seeking approval for a long-acting non-opioid drug. Erol Onel belongs to numerous organizations, including the American Urological Association (AUA).
The AUA, an organization dedicated to advocating for the urology specialty, recently released the results of a study that examined how urinary functions and sexual health are affected by cycling. The study was presented at the organization’s annual meeting in May of 2017.
The study examined close to 4,000 men. Of these, 63 percent regularly cycled without swimming or running, while the other 37 percent swam or ran without cycling.
Based on the results of the study, cyclists did not experience a decrease in erectile function when compared to non-cyclists. Cyclists also did not experience more urinary tract symptoms and had a higher Sexual Health Inventory for Men (SHIM) score, on average, than their non-cycling counterparts. However, a higher percentage of cyclists did experience perineal numbness.
Dr. Erol Onel serves as vice president of Heron Therapeutics, a pharmaceutical research and development company based in La Jolla, California. Outside of work, Dr. Erol Onel remains committed to giving back. Every year on September 11, he tries to give blood to pay tribute. Donating blood helps save lives while also providing health benefits for the people who regularly donate.
One of the biggest health benefits is a lower risk of cancer. Donating blood reduces levels of iron in the body and helps maintain healthy levels. Lower iron levels are linked to lower risk of cancer. In addition, reduced levels of iron can have benefits for the liver and pancreas, which store excesses of the mineral. Excess iron stored in these organs can lead to liver failure, cirrhosis, and pancreatic damage.
In addition, repeated donations can help lower blood viscosity so that it flows better through blood vessels. The result is fewer arterial blockages. Research in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that blood donors are 88 percent less likely to have a heart attack.
Donating to Goodwill
The vice president of Heron Therapeutics, Erol Onel serves as a pharmaceutical researcher who works alongside his team to create new drugs. Beyond his work, Erol Onel is a community-conscious individual who regularly donates to Goodwill, which operates throughout the United States featuring donated items. If you wish to donate to Goodwill, follow these three steps:
1. Gather your items – Collect items you no longer use, such as old clothes and toys, and ask your family members if they have anything they no longer need or use.
2. Examine the items – Check to see if any of your collected items show signs of damage, such as tears or missing parts. Further, check the Consumer Product Safety Commission to ensure your items don’t appear on recall or banned lists, as Goodwill cannot accept such items. You should also ensure your items meet modern safety standards.
3. Dropping off – Visit www.goodwill.org to locate your nearest donation site. Goodwill also operates collections in some areas for those donating lots of items.